Warning: this trend is not for the shy or faint of color! I’ve been seeing some pretty amazing shoes popping up around the web featuring bright blocks of color and metallic details. (The oxfords from Tobi and the bright toed flats from Kate Spade are seriously on my wish list!)
Inspired by Kate Spade and the color blocking trend I transformed a plain pair of oxfords (via Forever 21, similar here) into pink and gold beauties. Read on to get this color-blocking look for less!
A pair of shoes you want to transform
Gold metallic spray paint
Newsprint or newspaper
Pink acrylic or fabric paint (Or the color of your choice)
1. Start with your shoes. These were faux suede and practically new, so I didn’t have to clean them up too much. If you need to, wipe them with a damp soft cloth to clear away any dust or dirt.
2. Tape off the toe section with painter’s tape. I cut the tape into smaller sections to be able to follow the curve more precisely.
3. Mask off the rest of the shoe with the newsprint.
4. Cover the toe section with the gold metallic spray paint. Do this in light layers – putting on thick layers will prevent the paint from drying and applying evenly. Depending on the material this could lead to drip marks. Faux suede is very craft friendly when it comes to being spray painted – other slicker surfaces will not be as forgiving. Let dry completely.
5. Repeat steps 2-3 for the next section to be painted. If you use another spray paint, mask off the toe as well. I used acrylic paint and a paint brush for this section. Paint the entire section, let dry, and do a second layer for a brighter and more even color. Let dry.
6. Voila! Easy color-blocked shoes.
Are you loving these flats as much as I am? What’s at the top of your wish list lately?